Plugin (also called an extension or add-on) is a software component with a specific feature that can be added to a software or web application.
Plugins allow the user to customize the application further to enhance the appearance, functionality and dynamics of their website. They are commonly used to add new features to search engines, eCommerce websites, software and graphics applications.
Plug-ins are incorporated for various reasons. Some of these include:
- To enable third party development.
- To separate the code from the application.
- To support new features.
- To reduce the size of the application.
Some examples of plugins include:
- Magento® Custom Coupons Error Message –
Allows you to create, track and display custom error messages to customers when they fail to apply a coupon in your Magento® store.
- Magento® Advanced Newsletter Registration – Allows your Magento® store to collect additional information about newsletter subscriptions. This extension allows you configure your newsletter subscription data with fields to track subscribers of your Magento® store’s newsletter