Fulfillment or order fulfillment is the entire process from the sales inquiry to the delivery of the product to the consumer. This process allows eCommerce businesses to manage customer shipments and returns. Order fulfillment can be more complex when its scope is narrowed down to distribution and logistics. However, there are several steps in the order fulfillment process for eCommerce businesses, these are:
The order fulfillment process is simplified as follows:
- Receiving Goods – Business receives goods from manufacturers.
- Storing Goods – Goods are stored as inventory.
- Processing Orders – Orders are processed from the consumer.
- Shipping Orders – Orders are shipped to the consumer.
- Processing Returns – Returns are processed from the consumer.
- The state of being fulfilled.
- (business) The activities performed once an order is received to fulfill the order; packaging, distributing and shipping goods.